Teen Driving School
Parenting a teen driver can be exciting and nerve-wracking.
Your teen may be looking forward to a new kind of freedom, you get to be concerned about keeping them safe, even when you can’t be in the vehicle with them.
Safety is our #1 concern, and our entire curriculum is centered on helping teens gain the knowledge and skills they need to make good decisions and react appropriately to unexpected situations.
We focus on teaching the basics and building knowledge a little at a time to make sure students retain the important information. Our staff includes educators who have a lot of experience teaching in a way that engages teenagers, which is critical to teach new drivers. This way, students will know how to stay safe on the road even after graduating from our teen driving school program.
The best way to approach driver training and teach students the rules of the road is to focus on obeying traffic laws, the dangers of distracted driving, and the mechanics of operating a vehicle. We’ll make sure your teens build a strong foundation on these principles so they can become lifelong safe drivers.
Want to know more about the advantages of choosing our program?
At Swerve Driving School, our teen driving classes offer:
- Convenient course schedules
- Engaging curriculum
- Instructors that exceed state requirements
- Build skill levels to match confidence level in your teen’s driving
- Offering knowledge and road testing
We offer teen drivers education in Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Woodinville, Sammamish, and Issaquah.
How the process works
Getting started is easy. There are a few requirements and a few processes that must be completed, and then you’ll be on your way to receiving your driver’s license.
- You must be at least 15 years old to get started
- Enroll in a new driver training program
- 10 days prior to your teen’s new driving course starting, obtain your permit
- Complete driving school (classes and drives)
- Pass the Washington Driving Testto determine driving knowledge
- Schedule the WA state road exam (Swerve Driving School is a state-approved provider)
- Pass the road test
- When you have your permit for 6 months, completed 50 hours of practice driving and are 16 years old, proceed to your nearest WA State LSO to get your license
- Teens fall under the IDL laws for WA state (intermediate driver’s license)
Teen Driving School FAQs
If you have any other questions about our new driver training courses, licensing process, or have any other concerns, we would be happy to talk with you. Just give us a call, we are always happy to help.
You can also check out this driving school FAQ to get detailed information on requirements for new drivers, our training program, tips on helping your children learn to drive, and more.
How to get my WA permit
In order to make things go smoothly as possible, you can get your permit before you start your driving classes. Simply follow these steps:
- Sign into wa.gov
- Click on License Express – Join now
- Click on Pre-apply to get your first permit
- Fill out the registration form
- Once the registration form is filled out and submitted it will issue you a DLN number (This number will start with WDL)
- If you already have a Washington State ID, please log into your student record and update the PIC/Permit field.
We cannot enter your confirmation number unless you are 15 years old.
Once we have received your DLN number, we will update your records in the Department of Licensing website, send you an email confirming it has been completed, and you will be able to get your permit.
We will need this number BEFORE you go into the DOL to get your permit.
How Do I Get My First WA Driver’s License?
Now that you’ve completed the program, it’s time for you to get your license and get out on the open road. The process is simple:
- Complete a teen driver training course, like the one offered at Swerve Driving School
- Pass the WA state written exam
- Pass the WA state road exam
- Hold your permit for at least 6 months
- Have 50 hours of practice driving (10 hours are required at night)
- Be at least 16 years old