Teen Driver Training
Parenting a new driver is often both exciting and nerve wracking. While your student may enjoy the new found freedom, we know you’re probably concerned about keeping them safe from crashes or tickets. Your student’s safety is our #1 concern.
Your student will learn the rules of the road, the dangers of distracted driving and the mechanics of driving a vehicle. At Swerve we offer:
- Convenient course schedules
- Engaging curriculum
- Instructors that exceed state requirements
- Build skill levels to match confidence level in your teen’s driving
- Offering knowledge and road testing
We offer classes in Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Woodinville, Sammamish, & Issaquah.
How the process works
- Teen is 15 years old
- Enroll into a new driver training program
- 10 days prior to your teen’s new driver training course starting, obtain your permit
- Teen graduates new driver training (classes & drives)
- Teen passes WA state knowledge exam
- When teen is ready, schedule the WA state road exam (Swerve is a state approved provider)
- Teen passes road test
- Teen has held permit for 6 months, had had 50 hours of practice driving and is 16: proceed to your nearest WA State LSO to get your teen’s license
- Teen will fall under the IDL laws for WA state (intermediate driver’s license)
How to get my WA permit
In order to make things go smoothly for you to get your permit you will want to follow these steps:
- Sign into dol.wa.gov
- Click on License Express – Join now
- Click on Pre-apply to get your first permit
- Fill out the registration form
- Once the registration form is filled out and submitted it will issue you a confirmation number (This number will start with the first 5 digits of your last name)
**If you already have a Washington State ID you will not need to follow these steps. Just call or email us your ID number**
- Email Swerve your confirmation number.
**We can not enter your confirmation number unless you are 15 years old.**
Once we have received your Confirmation number, we will update your records in the Department of Licensing website, send you an email confirming it has been completed and you will be able to get your permit. We will need this number BEFORE you go into the DOL to get your permit.
How to get my first WA driver’s license
- Complete a new driver training course
- Pass the WA state written exam
- Pass the WA state road exam
- Hold your permit for at least 6 months
- Have 50 hours of practice driving (10 hours at night)
- Be at least 16 years old
- How old do I have to be to enroll in new driver training?
You must be 15 years old.
- How long is the classroom portion?
WA state requires 30 hours
- How many drives does my teen do with an Instructor?
- What if my teen has to miss a class?
Your student is allowed (by DOL) to miss up to 3 classes. All 3 classes must be made up either in a live classroom session or by DVD.