WA State Test Packages
Swerve Driving School is a state approved testing center offering the written knowledge exam and road testing.
If you do not have a WA state ID card or permit...
Prior to scheduling your Washington State driving test, visit dol.wa.gov and select “license express”. You will need to click "join" and then follow the steps listed. This process only takes a few minutes and is a requirement in the state of WA. You may contact your preferred Swerve testing location for assistance. Once you have registered in license express, come back here select one of the purchase buttons above to book your exam.
If you do have a WA state ID card or permit...
Select an option to schedule your exam. You may also contact your preferred Swerve testing location for assistance.
What to expect for your knowledge test
- The exam is a 40 question multiple choice exam.
- The applicant must obtain an 80% or higher to pass.
- Applicants who have already obtained their permit must have their valid permit to take the exam.
What to expect for your road test
Road Test Checklist
- All road test applicants must have a valid permit or may be issued a temporary permit by the driving school.
- All applicants must have a clean, reliable vehicle with valid insurance, registration and license plate tabs.
- All vehicles must have working turn signals, brake lights, front lights, emergency flashers, seat belts, brakes, windshield wipers, appropriate (legal) tread on the tires, side mirrors and rear-view mirror.
- There may be no cracks or chips in the line of vision in the windshield. Applicants must obtain a score of 80% or higher to pass.
- If you're taking an exam, your score will be entered into the DOL database within 24 hours. You will have to visit a DOL office to apply for your license. Passing the knowledge test and drive test does not guarantee an applicant will be issued a driver's license. The DOL will determine if the applicant has met all licensing requirements. The DOL reserves the right to conduct re-exams at random; applicants refusing to take a re-examination may have their license revoked.
- If you received a letter from DOL to take an exam due to a physical, mental, visual or medical issue, you must take the test at a DOL office. Failure to disclose this information prior to testing will result in your test not being honored at DOL and no refunds will be issued.
- Pursuant to RCW 46.20.720, a driver convicted of an alcohol offense may be required to have an ignition interlock device (IID). The applicant must take the skills exam in the vehicle using the IID.
Are you eligible to take your Road Test with Swerve?
- Complete new driver training or teen driving school from a licensed school.
- Pass the WA state knowledge test.
(You do not need to be 16 years of age to take the road test)
The fine print
Swerve Driving School has a 48 hour cancellation period. Anything less than 48 hours will result in forfeiting the amount paid for your test or private drive. No refunds will be given for cancellations outside the cancellation period. Failure to have the required items listed below which prevent you from testing will also result in forfeiting your testing or private drive fee.
Required items to bring with you:
Download the Road Test Checklist
All private drive customers must have a valid permit or driver's license.