Teen Driving School
Parenting a new driver is often both exciting and nerve-wracking. While your student may enjoy the new-found freedom, we know you’re probably concerned about keeping them safe from crashes or tickets. When teaching your teen to drive, student safety is our #1 concern. To start, we focus on teaching basics and building knowledge a little at a time to make sure the information is retained. That way, students stay safe on the road even after graduating from our teen driving school program.
We have found that the best way to approach driver training and teach students the rules of the road is to focus on obeying traffic laws, the dangers of distracted driving, and the mechanics of driving a vehicle. Our staff includes educators who have a lot of experience teaching in a way that is meaningful to teenagers. These skills are invaluable when teaching new drivers.
Want to know more about the advantages of choosing our program? At Swerve teen driving school, we offer:
- Convenient course schedules
- Engaging curriculum
- Instructors that exceed state requirements
- Build skill levels to match confidence level in your teen’s driving
- Offering knowledge and road testing
We offer teen driver’s education in Seattle, Mercer Island, Bellevue, Woodinville, Sammamish, & Issaquah.
How the process works
- Teen is 15 years old
- Enroll in a new driver training program
- 10 days prior to your teen’s new driving course starting, obtain your permit
- Teen graduates driving school (classes & drives)
- Teen passes Washington Driving Test to determine driving knowledge
- When teen is ready, schedule the WA state road exam (Swerve is a state-approved provider)
- Teen passes road test
- Teen has held permit for 6 months, has had 50 hours of practice driving and is 16, proceed to your nearest WA State LSO to get your teen’s license
- Teen will fall under the IDL laws for WA state (intermediate driver’s license)
How to get my WA permit
In order to make things go smoothly for you to get your permit you will want to follow the steps below:
- Sign into dol.wa.gov
- Click on License Express – Join now
- Click on Pre-apply to get your first permit
- Fill out the registration form
- Once the registration form is filled out and submitted it will issue you a DLN number (This number will start with WDL)
- If you already have a Washington State ID, please log into your student record and update the PIC/Permit field.
We can not enter your confirmation number unless you are 15 years old.
Once we have received your DLN number, we will update your records in the Department of Licensing website, send you an email confirming it has been completed and you will be able to get your permit. We will need this number BEFORE you go into the DOL to get your permit.
How to get my first WA driver’s license
- Complete a teen driver training course, like the one offered at Swerve
- Pass the WA state written exam
- Pass the WA state road exam
- Hold your permit for at least 6 months
- Have 50 hours of practice driving (10 hours are required at night)
- Be at least 16 years old
Teen Driving School FAQ’s
- How old do I have to be to enroll in new driver training?
You must be 15 years old. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- How long is the classroom portion?
WA state requires 30 hours
- How many drives does my teen do with an Instructor?
- What if something comes up and my teen has to miss a class?
Your student is allowed (by DOL) to miss up to 3 classes. All 3 classes must be made up either in a live classroom session or by DVD. If this happens, talk to an instructor to work out the details of which classes are available.
- What if I am not a teen and want to get my driver’s license?
No problem! We teach students who are older than 15 to drive as well. If you don’t want to take the teen new driver training courses, look into our adult driving lessons, we would love to help you.
You can view scheduled and see more information about the teen driver training programs offered through our school through the menu bar. If you have any other questions about our new driver training courses, licensing process, or have any other concerns, we would be happy to talk with you. Just give us a call, we are always happy to help.